In order to correct the patient’s malocclusion, an appliance called a Forsus can be placed inside the mouth. The Forsus is a functional orthopedic appliance, which postures the patient’s lower jaw (mandible) in a forward direction. This appliance is used in growing patients to promote forward growth of the lower jaw. It can be fitted by Dr. Backus in Birmingham.
This appliance has some important advantages over headgear, such as cosmetics, safety, and comfort. However, the Forsus must be treated properly. They are expensive and are not indestructible. We are certain that you will find the benefits of the Forsus well worth the extra care necessary to ensure that they will work correctly.
If treated properly, they should do a great job of improving the bite and will be in place for approximately six to twelve months. We appreciate any encouragement and help you can give your child in the wearing and care of their Forsus. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions regarding this new appliance.
These are the steps to properly care for your Forsus:
- The appliance can break; therefore, you must not bite directly into anything hard such as suckers and ice or chew on hard objects against your Forsus. The appliance should maintain itself under normal eating conditions.
- The teeth may become sore when the Forsus is first placed. This soreness will be gone in a few days. The teeth may become loose. This is a normal reaction to the appliance. Expect to see progress.
- If they are chewed on, they will break. Call the office immediately if you notice your appliance is loose or if you notice any movement of your teeth.
- They may also be broken if they are bent with fingers or if they are stretched by opening the mouth extremely wide. Wide opening of the mouth can also cause the Forsus to loosen or break other bands, brackets and/or wires.
- When brushing, be extra careful to properly clean the appliance.
- We allow two broken Forsus appliances and then additional charges will incur per broken appliance.
If you should have any questions about your Forsus, please do not hesitate to contact our office in Birmingham at 205.879.0557.